Tuesday 15 April 2014

Hacking A Camera For Full Spectrum


What we see is simple visible light. But radio waves, infrared, microwaves, x rays are all forms of light to but we just cant see them. Most cameras are equipped with a filter that blocks out UV (Ultraviolet) and IR (Infrared) light. However, if you remove that filter you can capture much more light and create some strange images. This also enables the camera to do night vision.

For this hack I got this simple crappy camera I had lying around. 

NOTE: If you are planning on doing this please read a proper tutorial, this is just me showing you what I did. I also take no responsibility if you permanently damage your camera when doing this so only do this on a rubbish camera.



The guts of the camera.


The TINY little image sensor. I just had to snap the little filter and it was then done!

Here are some images of my garden with the filter removed. Look at how strange everything looks. The blue tint is all of the UV and IR light coming from the sun.




No comments:

Post a Comment