Monday 16 April 2018

Building A Table And More Shelving

Finally the blog is back up to date! Posts from now on should be roughly posted around the same time the events discussed actually occurred (instead of my archiving all the Christmas pictures and only posting them during Easter which is what I have been doing if you didn't already realize).

Over the Easter break I have completed a large number of odd jobs in the lab that have been on the to do list for a long time and help bring the lab closer to a finished state. These include essential maintenance to the power cabinet, mounting the 16a socket, fixing lamps, taking apart appliances as seen in the previous post (also I got gutted a vacuum), fixing other things that were broken and finally, sorting out storage.

 As more storage is defiantly needed, I invested some time into making another set of shelves for the storage area. These shelves are smaller and will be used to store electronics as currently there is no dedicated space for that. I also made a small wooden shelving unit to go under the main work bench to store equipment. Finally I needed to return the table I was currently using for storage back to where I got it from which mean I needed to obtain another. Since I had some spare work surface material lying about, I decided to make a table!











The thick wooden beams I have so many of once again proved extremely useful and made the table very strong. A mixture of well positioned screws and hot glue made this an incredibly well built structure even by my standards. The finished thing is just a strong as something you would buy from IKEA and is perfectly level, not wobbling at all. Overall I'm very proud and happy with the quality of this build and am surprised I managed to make something so well using all recycled materials.






Here is how the lab looks now with the new additions. I also took this time to organised all of the remaining scrap wood to make finding any particular piece easier when I need to make something else.




No comments:

Post a Comment